Friday, January 6, 2012

Phew! It's a new year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


Well 2010 has passed. It's been quite some time since I have created artwork again. If you remember my book project below I'm in the process of figuring out how I can turn this old boring computer textbook into something more presentable. I'm finding some challenges as I go. Part of me thinks I chose the wrong book to tackle. Not only is it a huge book but it also has very thin pages.

Because I've not yet left the end pages I've been lucky the paper only buckles when I'm painting from the water used. However,  the pages inside are so thin I fear they'll tear if too much water is used in the painting process. We'll have to see as I go along if I'll have to abandon this book for another more suitable book. Perhaps when my local library has another book sale I'll find one dirt cheap with thicker pages.

In the meantime today I was able to tear myself away from the computer to start a new page. I was inspired yesterday by a bank of clouds nearly at dusk. The day had been a grey one and I felt for sure we'd receive snow before the day was out. But by 3:30 - 4:00 pm as the sun was setting, it's last remaining rays shot out from the horizon and illuminated the dark clouds underbellies. There indeed was a silver lining seen there underneath the dark grey of the clouds.

I've tried to capture the scene and although I have in real life, the photograph doesn't do the image justice. You'll get the idea from the picture below.



I've made the image as large as I could but it looks a bit washed out. The darkest grey at the top of the page is from the paper buckling from the water used to paint with. I'm not 100% happy with the outcome but it was fun to try and capture the real clouds of yesterday.

No comments: