Friday, January 27, 2012

The Red Hat

On moments when I am bored I seem to gravitate towards the computer. One boredom buster is trying to figure out the workings of Photoshop CS4. It's been installed on my computer now for some time as well as Adobe Fireworks which I am more familiar with. I've purchased some fine "idiot" books to help me learn the process of vectors or photo enhancement tools for Photoshop however, I find "playing" with tutorials a lot more fun.

For several years now I've seen photographs that have been altered with selective colorization. It was the craze a few years back but we see it a bit less now. The effect was really over used but it fascinated me. At the time I didn't have Photoshop so I was pretty much in awe of what I found others had done.

Today I Googled "photoshop selective colorization" and came up with pages of tutorials. There are many tutorials out there but you'll need to check them to see which version of PS they are using for their instructions. The difference between CS4 and CS5 is huge. When I grow up I want CS5. There are just so many toys on that version to ever be bored.

Any way, this tutorial was the one I chose and with only two steps to the process how could anyone go wrong. Two steps! For goodness sake that is to darned easy. No wonder everyone out there was doing this little trick.

Here is the red hat.

1 comment:

Airwin said...

What a great way to learn more about Photoshop! I have done that on occasion with Photoshop Elements and come across some interesting sites (unfortunately, those usually focus on the full version, but some tricks can be done with Elements as well. And now that I have the latest PSE version it should be even easier). I also found some tutorial podcasts on iTunes which were helpful. Right now I'm going through a book to help me learn Photoshop Lightroom, and I'm liking it so far!

Your photo came out beautifully, both in composition and rendering. Brava!