Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Something Old

Whilst going through a box of old photographs ( you know, the kind that were developed using chemicals) I came across photos I had taken with my old Olympus OM10 maybe eight years ago. They brought back fond memories of my experimental days with 1000 speed film.

I love my old film cameras, there was something about the act of opening the film canister and smelling that fresh smell of chems, of meticulously loading the camera and hearing the weighted "click click" of depressing the shutter button to advance the film on the empty spool that gave me satisfaction. Closing the back cover with a heavy "chunk" "click" was the sound of progress. It took a little effort to remember to advance your film to the next frame but that was back in the day when remembering simple acts were common place. It also took some brains to operate the camera correctly so as not to have pictures developed looking dark, light or just a mess.

These new point a shoot digital cameras are sufficient for those who don't want to have to worry about anything but I find them boring. It's true. They're boring as Wonder bread is to bread... that boring. Yes, I own a couple. And I've played with them till they've been stretched thin. I've even tossed them in the air "tossing" letting the camera take it's own view of the world but in the end they're images are not the same. And the next step is to alter them on a software program because they're not exciting enough.

I feel a personal boycott coming on. lol Any way, I leave you with this photo. This photo started it all for me. It was the beginning of Lasgalen Arts.

No comments: